Skip to main content

Diving into BreakoutEDU: Test #1

I can't remember where I first heard about BreakoutEDU boxes, but it's the kind of idea that I love to latch on because the people and teachers heading up projects like these are my kind of people. If you aren't familiar with BreakoutEDU, I suggest watching this. Basically, it's a way to gamify learning, but in a way that engages kids to interact with each other and content. To me, it's just one more tool to add to my teaching toolbox.

I received a generous grant from the Blaine County Education Foundation to try out this teaching tool. I originally wanted to purchase the official BreakoutEDU box, but after talking to a fellow teacher, I got the information and confidence I needed to "build" my own set.

I'll admit that the initial confusion I had about which materials to buy and setting up my first breakout session was overwhelming. I ordered the materials and ran into some snags with defective locks. When I looked at the directions for one of the breakout games my eyes glazed over the combinations, printable materials, and the gigantic list of setup directions. Quite frankly, I wondered what I'd gotten myself into.

What I needed to do, I finally decided, was just sit down with the directions and materials in front of me and go step-by-step. Once I did that and figured out how to reset five different locks, I was golden.

I started by using my Genius Hour class as my guinea pigs to test out my first game, a game from the BreakoutEDU website called Spyder Heist.





It was difficult to not give students clues as I watched them struggle. One of the BreakoutEDU founders, James Sanders says, "As educators, we often intervene too quickly when a student is struggling." Even though I told my students they had two hints, I still kept trying to use the hints for them. I was worried they wouldn't get it, or finish in time, or get frustrated and give up. I think observing it helped me recognize that I might be giving too many 'hints' to my students when I'm teaching. I might be too quick to give the answer, or too quick to remind them where to look. It's difficult knowing where the line between productive struggle and helpless frustration is sometimes. In the end, they figured it out.

When I prepared the box I forgot to get a 'prize', so I just put a rock in the box. The best part of this was seeing their faces when they saw that their work resulted in discovering a rock. Next time, I would spend more time discussing and reflecting on that feeling of working for what we think is nothing. The disappointment that sometimes comes when we expect a big reward at the end. How can we reframe our minds to think differently about thinking and learning as rewarding? Is the 'work' (even when it's fun and engaging) not enough? Do we always need a reward? Those might be interesting questions to let students think about. 

The next step is to take the Breakout Box outside my class. More on that in the next entry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perception vs. Reality

Before I became a "real" teacher, my perception of teaching English was that I would be blowing kids' minds with classic literature and handing out grammar worksheets.  Needless to say, that hasn't happened...yet. Instead, I was surprised to find that I loved teaching about writing. In particular, I found a love of teaching argumentation and persuasion. The seventh graders are gearing up for argumentative writing. We begin by talking about the concepts of perception and reality and how those two things influence our views of the world and all its issues. I have them make a poster that's based off a popular meme to help ground those concepts. It hardly seems like work, and it's one of the few assignments we do where I get to hear things like, "Can I finish this at home?" or "Can I do another one?" The task is to make a perception and reality poster. I start by showing them an example for a teacher, like this one . This makes for a great

First Week is in the Books!

In 7th grade English, we did some activities to help get students get acquainted with their new lives in junior high. On the first day, I challenged the students to work together.  We did this activity.  It was great to observe how each student approached the challenge and helped their team out.  My favorite part of class this week was talking about the Genius Hour project. I didn't have a much time to talk about it as I would have liked, but we were able to brainstorm a few ideas to think about over the weekend. Genius Hour brainstorming "Seventh Grade" activity Most of the students I have in Public Speaking had not previously had a class with me, so I think we got to know each other a little better this week.  We did a speaking and listening activity where one student had to describe a picture while the other student listened and tried to draw it. Students also worked in small groups to brainstorm all the different ways we communicate and wrote definitions of

Tongue Twisters, Growth Mindset, and Self-Portraits

To celebrate the beginning of fall (or to mourn the end of summer), here is a lovely picture of a sunflower in my yard. Here’s what we were up to this week! The seventh graders continued their exploration on narratives this week.   We practiced summary writing and writing about theme.   We also talked about how setting can influence the events of a story.   We used close reading strategies using the Collections Close Reader .   To put all this practice together, my students have some interesting short stories of their own in the works.   I can’t wait to read them! I’m really kicking myself for not getting any pictures of the demonstration speeches we did in second hour this week.   I’ll leave it up to you to picture my students teaching the class how to make cheesecake, wash a dog, tie a bowtie, ride motorcycles, and make lava lamps.   It was a diverse set of topics to say the least. Friday, we relaxed a bit from the stress of speech delivering and had a Tongue Twister Battle.