Skip to main content

Dear Middle Schooler

Dear Middle Schooler,


I see you on your hard days. I see that zit forming on the center of your face, looking at me like headlights set on high beams. I see those pants that have gotten just a little too short because you grew three inches overnight. I see that your best friend suddenly decided to ignore you for no apparent reason. I see that your parents are going through a divorce and you can’t possibly imagine how you will make it through the day, let alone first hour.


I see you, and I know it’s hard. If you polled the entire universe (aliens and all), and asked them what age they wished they could go back to--not a single solitary soul would say twelve. Not. A. Single. One. Because being twelve is like getting a sweaty hug while being kicked in the shins. Being a middle schooler is like lying in the middle of the road and getting run over by a steamroller, and then being scraped off the road and put on the schoolbus because you still have to go to school (Flat Stanley style).


Middle schooler, I’ve also seen you on your good days. I saw you make that basket. I noticed your good hair day. I cheered when you finally got the answer. I saw you on top of the world.


But I don’t need to talk to good day kid. I need to talk to hard day kid. Before I do, I need to start by telling you how much I love being your teacher. It may not seem like that on a Monday morning after “so and so” threw a pencil across the room, but the fact that I love teaching, and that I love teaching middle school will always be there (it’s just buried very deeply some days). I also need to tell you what I know about your situation.


Here’s what I know, hard day kid. I know that middle school is often overlooked. It’s a place where a bunch of awkward preteens are shoved in between childhood and adulthood.


I know that middle school is important. It’s where you establish your reading, study, sleep, and social habits. It’s where you start to think critically about your beliefs and values. This means you might start questioning why things are the way they are (much to your parents’ dismay). You’ll learn what you like and you will make thousands of new connections in your brain just by trying new things and taking risks.


I know that middle school is a little scary.  You can develop insecurities and suddenly become afraid to do something you’ve done thousands of times before. You might start to worry about what others think, and you might change the way you look because of that. You might become fixed in your ways and stop trying new things because you are afraid to fail.


So, middle schooler, I know that you had a hard day, or maybe you a hard week, month, or even year. And look, I know it’s been a couple decades since I was in your shoes, but I know a few things about what it’s like to be you.


Here’s what I really, really, really need you to know, hard day kid.  There are only two, so hang in there.


The first thing you need to know is you have to hold onto that younger version of yourself that isn’t afraid to try new things, the version of you that laughs at silly things, the version of you that loves to play games, the version of you that has an imagination as vast as the ocean and as wild as a twister. Grab onto those qualities and hold on for dear life.  They are that precious. The adults in your lives (including me) might sometimes tell you to hide this side of you, or even worse, they might tell you to get rid of it, but this side of you is what makes life worth living. It will be your reason for getting up in the morning even when your grownup self is having a hard day.


Now, life requires balance.  Yin and Yang, Ch’i, Zen, whatever you call it--finding harmony in our lives is so important to growing up.


Alright, here’s where my boring teacher voice comes in, but remember, I care about you hard day kid, and I would do anything to help you (aside from committing a crime for you). The second thing you must do is start to develop the part of you that is becoming more independent, more thoughtful, more empathetic, and more responsible. Without these qualities, your imaginative side is at risk of spiralling out of control, which in the end, will not lead to happiness.


How do you develop these two sides, you ask? Well, in order to keep that wild imagination, you must turn off that video game for a while and experience the outdoors. You must read like it quenches the thirst in your mind. You must stop and weigh the evidence before you pick a side. You must listen to others like they are the most fascinating people on Earth. You must take ownership when you make a mistake. To do so takes incredible practice and discipline.


Both of these sides of you will take HARD WORK to develop, but, hard day kid, it is so worth it.


So, what’s the cure for a hard day? Sometimes, nothing. Sometimes, the only cure is time. But I promise you, that if you work on those two sides of yourself, you’ll be able to deal with those days like a pro.


So hike up those already too short pants and wear a smile that makes your braces twinkle like the stars. Keep your past and your future in check because the best part of your life is starting right now if you choose to own it. And, by the way, use deodorant...seriously, you guys stink sometimes.  


Love,

Your Teacher

P.S. Here's a picture of me during my middle school years, just in case you thought I had it easy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perception vs. Reality

Before I became a "real" teacher, my perception of teaching English was that I would be blowing kids' minds with classic literature and handing out grammar worksheets.  Needless to say, that hasn't happened...yet. Instead, I was surprised to find that I loved teaching about writing. In particular, I found a love of teaching argumentation and persuasion. The seventh graders are gearing up for argumentative writing. We begin by talking about the concepts of perception and reality and how those two things influence our views of the world and all its issues. I have them make a poster that's based off a popular meme to help ground those concepts. It hardly seems like work, and it's one of the few assignments we do where I get to hear things like, "Can I finish this at home?" or "Can I do another one?" The task is to make a perception and reality poster. I start by showing them an example for a teacher, like this one . This makes for a great

First Week is in the Books!

In 7th grade English, we did some activities to help get students get acquainted with their new lives in junior high. On the first day, I challenged the students to work together.  We did this activity.  It was great to observe how each student approached the challenge and helped their team out.  My favorite part of class this week was talking about the Genius Hour project. I didn't have a much time to talk about it as I would have liked, but we were able to brainstorm a few ideas to think about over the weekend. Genius Hour brainstorming "Seventh Grade" activity Most of the students I have in Public Speaking had not previously had a class with me, so I think we got to know each other a little better this week.  We did a speaking and listening activity where one student had to describe a picture while the other student listened and tried to draw it. Students also worked in small groups to brainstorm all the different ways we communicate and wrote definitions of

Tongue Twisters, Growth Mindset, and Self-Portraits

To celebrate the beginning of fall (or to mourn the end of summer), here is a lovely picture of a sunflower in my yard. Here’s what we were up to this week! The seventh graders continued their exploration on narratives this week.   We practiced summary writing and writing about theme.   We also talked about how setting can influence the events of a story.   We used close reading strategies using the Collections Close Reader .   To put all this practice together, my students have some interesting short stories of their own in the works.   I can’t wait to read them! I’m really kicking myself for not getting any pictures of the demonstration speeches we did in second hour this week.   I’ll leave it up to you to picture my students teaching the class how to make cheesecake, wash a dog, tie a bowtie, ride motorcycles, and make lava lamps.   It was a diverse set of topics to say the least. Friday, we relaxed a bit from the stress of speech delivering and had a Tongue Twister Battle.