Skip to main content

Back in the Saddle

Our first day back as teachers is next Monday, and as is always the case, it now feels like summer was a blur. I was busier than usual this summer, and looking back on all that I experienced, I feel the need to revisit, refresh, and reflect. 

First of all, the Boise State Writing Project was incredible. I have a feeling that all other professional development opportunities post-BSWP will somehow be a letdown. It was an intense month of reading, writing, sharing, laughing, and crying (Crywhoopers for life!); all of which are things I have not been as in touch with as I would like to be. I like to joke and tell people that the BSWP was free therapy, but there's a lot of truth to that. The friendships made, both personal and professional, are invaluable. I learned so much about myself as a teacher and person with the help of my fellow Buzzwhoopers. I'm also really proud of the work that I produced in that month. 

To be honest, after it was over, I immediately gave in to the exhaustion and hugged my bed and 
Netflix for a while. I totally shut down my brain, which probably wasn't the best thing to do because I lost the momentum. And here I am, on the edge of a new school year, and gearing back up has not been easy. 

I met with two members of my writing group a few weeks ago, and that was a great help in refocusing. To help bring it back even more, I've been going through my portfolio and notes, and revisited the action steps I wrote at the end of the BSWP. They are as follows:


  1. Implementing a few BSWP routines into my ELA classes
  2. Focusing on improving and increasing the frequency of Socratic seminars in 12th ELA
  3. Moving to portfolio-based assessment in my ELA classes
  4. Incorporate more active listening practice and learning in my Speech class
  5. Working to increase the quality of my service-learning/PBL projects
  6. Continuing to read more and write more
  7. Helping spread the word about the Scholastic Writing Awards to schools in my area
  8. Being a thinking partner for the Dignity Initiative

This list still seems overwhelming when I think about the many different courses I teach. I'm always driven by the motivation to create quality content, which has proved to be no easy task with four preps on trimesters. I just have to keep repeating my mantra of "one trimester at a time", and that makes it less intimidating.

Right now, I'm reading Sir Ken Robinson's Creative Schools for our district's book study and love that the ideas are so inline with what the BSWP imprinted on me. I just hope we can find ways to navigate beyond traditional structures that are no longer working for our students. Small steps are the answer, and I need to focus on a few, effective changes to help make this year closer to our vision.

Whew! I'm back in the saddle, even if that saddle is a little more uncomfortable. Writing this helped me feel at least 10% more motivated! Here's to an energized 2015-2016 school year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perception vs. Reality

Before I became a "real" teacher, my perception of teaching English was that I would be blowing kids' minds with classic literature and handing out grammar worksheets.  Needless to say, that hasn't happened...yet. Instead, I was surprised to find that I loved teaching about writing. In particular, I found a love of teaching argumentation and persuasion. The seventh graders are gearing up for argumentative writing. We begin by talking about the concepts of perception and reality and how those two things influence our views of the world and all its issues. I have them make a poster that's based off a popular meme to help ground those concepts. It hardly seems like work, and it's one of the few assignments we do where I get to hear things like, "Can I finish this at home?" or "Can I do another one?" The task is to make a perception and reality poster. I start by showing them an example for a teacher, like this one . This makes for a great

First Week is in the Books!

In 7th grade English, we did some activities to help get students get acquainted with their new lives in junior high. On the first day, I challenged the students to work together.  We did this activity.  It was great to observe how each student approached the challenge and helped their team out.  My favorite part of class this week was talking about the Genius Hour project. I didn't have a much time to talk about it as I would have liked, but we were able to brainstorm a few ideas to think about over the weekend. Genius Hour brainstorming "Seventh Grade" activity Most of the students I have in Public Speaking had not previously had a class with me, so I think we got to know each other a little better this week.  We did a speaking and listening activity where one student had to describe a picture while the other student listened and tried to draw it. Students also worked in small groups to brainstorm all the different ways we communicate and wrote definitions of

Tongue Twisters, Growth Mindset, and Self-Portraits

To celebrate the beginning of fall (or to mourn the end of summer), here is a lovely picture of a sunflower in my yard. Here’s what we were up to this week! The seventh graders continued their exploration on narratives this week.   We practiced summary writing and writing about theme.   We also talked about how setting can influence the events of a story.   We used close reading strategies using the Collections Close Reader .   To put all this practice together, my students have some interesting short stories of their own in the works.   I can’t wait to read them! I’m really kicking myself for not getting any pictures of the demonstration speeches we did in second hour this week.   I’ll leave it up to you to picture my students teaching the class how to make cheesecake, wash a dog, tie a bowtie, ride motorcycles, and make lava lamps.   It was a diverse set of topics to say the least. Friday, we relaxed a bit from the stress of speech delivering and had a Tongue Twister Battle.