Skip to main content

Teacher Reads: READICIDE


Am I killing my students' love of reading?  I recently finished the book Readicide by Kelly Gallagher and felt compelled to write about it.  I've been on a Gallagher kick this last year.  On one hand his ideas have changed my teaching for the better. On the other hand, his ideas make me question everything I do, sending me into an existential crisis. Okay, maybe not that far, but you get the idea.

One thing in particular that struck a cord was Gallagher's harsh words about Accelerated Reader. I have struggled for a while to make sense of AR, but Readicide was the first logical argument I have heard against using it. In Gallagher's classroom, students are required to read one recreational book a month and complete a "one-pager", a short assignment that asks students about their books.  No points, no quizzes, no logs. There is less accountability and less reward with this approach, but Gallagher stands by it. Notably, he stressed that it is essential to give students time to do recreational reading at school.  I agree that we are wrong assume that students will read at home--let alone have time to read at home.

The book also talks about the thin line between over-teaching and under-teaching texts. I have been guilty of trying to "teach all things in one book". I can remember taking five weeks to tackle Hoot by Carl Hiaasen my first year of teaching. My students created a book along with the novel that included things like symbols, figurative language, themes, daily summaries, big projects, tests, etc. No wonder we were all so sick of that book by the end. Gallagher talks about how ridiculous it is to interrupt the "flow" of reading too frequently. He explains that as adults we would be extremely annoyed if we were asked to answer twenty questions at the end of each chapter we were reading, so why would we ask that of students?  However, we should be using complex texts, and students need scaffolding. There has to be balance.

Instead of a comprehensive unit plan, Gallagher offers several solutions. One involves showing his students the end-of-unit essay question when starting a text.  This immediately gives students a reading purpose and helps frame the text for them.  He also described a "Big Chunk/Little Chunk" strategy for teaching texts. Here, he recommends easing students into difficult texts by reading it aloud to them, framing it for them, and giving support where needed.  Once the teacher has modeled the reading for the students, then bigger chunks of texts can be read by the students (again with a purpose for reading).  To teach skills, teachers can pull short, but important sections of the text for close reading skill building.

Gallagher stresses several times that schools need to ask 'hard questions' about how they are approaching reading. It was a great reminder that as an ELA teacher, I need to be a loud advocate for these essential skills our students need to succeed. Readicide is a great place to start for having those tough conversations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perception vs. Reality

Before I became a "real" teacher, my perception of teaching English was that I would be blowing kids' minds with classic literature and handing out grammar worksheets.  Needless to say, that hasn't happened...yet. Instead, I was surprised to find that I loved teaching about writing. In particular, I found a love of teaching argumentation and persuasion. The seventh graders are gearing up for argumentative writing. We begin by talking about the concepts of perception and reality and how those two things influence our views of the world and all its issues. I have them make a poster that's based off a popular meme to help ground those concepts. It hardly seems like work, and it's one of the few assignments we do where I get to hear things like, "Can I finish this at home?" or "Can I do another one?" The task is to make a perception and reality poster. I start by showing them an example for a teacher, like this one . This makes for a great

First Week is in the Books!

In 7th grade English, we did some activities to help get students get acquainted with their new lives in junior high. On the first day, I challenged the students to work together.  We did this activity.  It was great to observe how each student approached the challenge and helped their team out.  My favorite part of class this week was talking about the Genius Hour project. I didn't have a much time to talk about it as I would have liked, but we were able to brainstorm a few ideas to think about over the weekend. Genius Hour brainstorming "Seventh Grade" activity Most of the students I have in Public Speaking had not previously had a class with me, so I think we got to know each other a little better this week.  We did a speaking and listening activity where one student had to describe a picture while the other student listened and tried to draw it. Students also worked in small groups to brainstorm all the different ways we communicate and wrote definitions of

Tongue Twisters, Growth Mindset, and Self-Portraits

To celebrate the beginning of fall (or to mourn the end of summer), here is a lovely picture of a sunflower in my yard. Here’s what we were up to this week! The seventh graders continued their exploration on narratives this week.   We practiced summary writing and writing about theme.   We also talked about how setting can influence the events of a story.   We used close reading strategies using the Collections Close Reader .   To put all this practice together, my students have some interesting short stories of their own in the works.   I can’t wait to read them! I’m really kicking myself for not getting any pictures of the demonstration speeches we did in second hour this week.   I’ll leave it up to you to picture my students teaching the class how to make cheesecake, wash a dog, tie a bowtie, ride motorcycles, and make lava lamps.   It was a diverse set of topics to say the least. Friday, we relaxed a bit from the stress of speech delivering and had a Tongue Twister Battle.